Further to the cancellation please see our post regarding a partial refund or discount off the 2014 race fee.
The 31st Vesta Veterans’ Head – 1:30pm, Sunday 24 March 2013 – cancelled due to very poor weather conditions
Race course from Mortlake to Putney
Entries are now closed.
Please see the following documents:
- Tideway Navigation Chart
- General Instructions
- Marshalling diagrams
- Key Info – if you only have a minute – READ THIS ONE!
The following notes are on the BROE site (http://www.britishrowing.org/):
- Permission for boating **must** to be obtained from the host club or boathouse.
- Rejection of your permission by a host club will result in the rejection of your entry.
- Subject to discussion with host clubs, we are hoping that race numbers will be available from your chosen host club.
- The Vets Head organisers cannot assist with questions around boating permission, boat hire or finding a cox.
- Coxes can be of either gender for any crew and need not be of Masters age, but coxes under the age of 16 on the day of the race will be closely scrutinised.
- Any crew whose payment is still outstanding on race day will not be allowed to race. Foreign crews unable to pay online and wanting to find an alternative method of payment are encouraged to talk to the organisers.
- Mixed crews must have at least as many women as men, the cox is not included in this calculation.
- We will again be offering two additional prizes this year, for both men and women: a handicapped prize for the fastest adjusted time (according to the tables laid out in the BR Rules of Racing) and an overseas (non-BR) crew prize.
- If insufficient entrants for novice category are received, we will consider whether to offer them. In the event of a single category adjusted times will be used.
- Aside from novices, no aggregation of categories will take place – any category with three or fewer entries will not be offered. Entries in that category will still be eligible for the overall handicap prize.
- Before withdrawing/scratching a crew whose entry has been paid for please talk to us about refunds and what options we have. This is especially true if you are withdrawing a crew only to re-enter it, for example in a different category. PLEASE TRY TO AVOID PAYING FOR THE SAME CREW MORE THAN ONCE. We can move crews into different categories via the BROE system.
Any problems with the British Rowing Online Entry system should be addressed to BR via the email firstname.lastname@example.org - they’ll be more than happy to deal with your question. In particular foreign entrants should talk to BR about how to get set up to make your own entries (email@example.com).
About the race
The Vesta Veterans’ International Eights Head of the River Race is a rowing race held annually on the River Thames over the Championship Course. The direction in which the event is raced changes from year to year, dependent on the time of the tides: ideally it is raced from Mortlake to Putney but other years it will be raced the other way. It is open to veteran (now known as masters) eights, who race in categories determined by the average ages of the eight rowers. The race always takes place on the day following the Head of the River Race.
Any questions: contact Chris Harrison and Sinead Hayes, the entries secretaries: email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone on 07973 369106 (evenings only).
Results from past Vesta Veterans’ Heads can be found here.
Official Rock the Boat T-shirt
Here is our design for Vesta Vets 2013.
To buy the official t-shirt, please go to http://www.rock-the-boat.co.uk/cat-4-subcat-43-product-1139
To ensure that the Veterans Head is not subject to VAT the organisers are obliged by VAT regulations to include the following statement in promotional material for the event – “The Vets Head is organised by Vesta Rowing Club, a Community Amateur Sports Club, that applies any surplus on the event to further the sport of rowing.”